Canadian dating american

The man i am dating is married

  1. Canadian dating American.Easier to go to US or to Canada?
  2. Uniting a Canadian/American couple - canada unitedstates immigration | Ask MetaFilter
  3. {{optin_title}}

He will have to provide his life's details from the age of 18 including all addresses, jobs and education. He will have to provide a criminal background check from every state that he has lived in for more than 6 months and also an FBI records check and fingerprints. Anyone who has a criminal record will not be admitted to Canada.

He will have to provide proof that your relationship is true and genuine.

  • isle of wight dating website.
  • Dedicated to your stories and ideas..
  • Things I Learned About Being A Canadian By Dating An American.
  • best free interracial dating app.
  • dating washburn mandolin.
  • medical student dating consultant.

He will have to provide information on his family members. He will also have to get a medical for immigrations and pass it. You don't need a lawyer unless their is a problem. The process can take several years mine took 4 but average is about 1 year. It is just about the same process for you to go to the US. My husband and I based our decision on the fact that he had the better job so that is why I moved here. As an alumnus of the infamous Rochdale college, i comprehend a sprint greater suitable than the conventional American approximately how hip Canada is or grow to be.

I know little about the Canadian system, however, it seems that they both work about the same way when getting a visa for a spouse. The American system is fairly easy and will take about 8 to 12 months from start to finish. You don't need an attorney if you can read and follow the directions on the application.

Canadian dating American.Easier to go to US or to Canada?

Well, here's a plan. This is just one option. He can "sponsor" you to come in the country so you two can get married. You will automatically be a U. But with the way the U. That way you're both safe, and can keep an eye on America safely. Then you can pick which country you want to live in when the new U. You might want to steer clear for the next 4 years. Move to US McCain: Why does the US basically ignore Canada and Canadians? Canadians, what do you love about Canada?

I've found it to be an invaluable source of information regarding all things immigration. The forums are filled with tons of people in very similar situations and they all have great advice. Oh, and if you find yourselves getting more serious and he wants to immigrate to the USA, visajourney has excellent sample forms for the various visas.

We did the K-1 fiance visa route memail me if you would like more information. Canada has a work-program for immigrating, but you'd need to finish college for starters. Canada's labor demand right now is very much for skilled labor. That said, when I lived near Seattle it wasn't all that uncommon for Americans to either have immigrated to Canada or to be in the process of doing so.

Those suggesting the boyfriend go the student route need to read up on Dual Intent law. Simply put -- one cannot enter the United States under a student visa with the intent of immigrating to the U.

  • More From Thought Catalog.
  • Report Abuse.
  • Canadian dating to go to US or to Canada? | Yahoo Answers.

In other words, if the boyfriend came to the States as a student, married the OP, and then applied for immigration, that would be illegal under U. I'm not sure how this works in practice. But this doesn't sound like a promising case. Why would a resident of Vancouver suddenly up and apply to a college in New Jersey where his girlfriend just happens to live? That scenario has dual intent written all over it. I can bottom-line this for you -- unless you plan to get married soon, any talk of immigration is a non-starter.

Getting engaged will allow you to begin the long and painful process of applying for a K-1 fiance visa if your boyfriend wants to come to the States. If you actually get married, applying to become a Permanent Resident of Canada should not be too difficult. I'm not sure if there are any requirements along those same lines in Canada. Reading over my post I realize it sounds rather harsh. I just wanted to spell things out clearly because the U. I verified this in the meantime. I don't believe Canada has any such minimum for marriage-related Family Class visas I've never heard of dual intent, and I'd like to read more about it.

Thanks to all so far, looking forward to more ideas and different perspectives. In the strictest sense of the law, yes, partially except the STEM students for which it isn't true any more. However, even the heartless bastards at ICE know that stuff happens and young people meet and fall in love. That's why INS and their legacy organizations have little things called adjustment and change of status. Even so, in this case, her BF's intent for being in the country would be to study, not to immigrate. If, at a later date, they decide to change this intent and take their relationship to another level, then they may change his status to that of an immigrant classification.

Dating is not a prohibited activity for nonimmigrant students nor does having a girlfriend change his nonimmigrant intent.

Alice Eve Explains Differences Between American & UK Dating - CONAN on TBS

If you're not a citizen and not married to a citizen, the government any government wants a reason for you to be in their country and wants to know when you'll be leaving. Reasons they accept include variations on: It's easy to get in as a vacationer, but you're not allowed to work or study and you can't stay long six months out of a year in Canada, e. It's harder to get in as a student, but you're still not allowed to work full time, and you have to actually be a student. It's hardest to get in as a worker because you need to have the job already , and, well, getting jobs in one's OWN country is hard enough these days.

If you want to date someone in another country, you have to do it as either a vacationer, a student or a worker and follow the rules for that. There's no "dating" visa, sadly. It's a difficult thing you want to do. Probably the easiest thing is for you guys to alternate "vacations" on either side of the border until you are sure about your relationship, and then get married sooner rather than later so the permanent residency can be filed in whichever country you decide to settle in.

Then it was legal for me to be in Canada full time with no end date.

Uniting a Canadian/American couple - canada unitedstates immigration | Ask MetaFilter

Five years later I was able to file for Canadian citizenship, which I received last year and am now a dual citizen. I'm not sure what you mean here. If you mean that you have to have somethin' goin' on for two years before you can apply for a K1, that's just not so. I filed a K1 for biscotti something like 18 months after we met. If you mean that you have to be in a relationship for 2 years to file on the basis of that relationship, that's also false -- the US has marriage and fiancee visas, and that's it.

It does not have a long-term partner visa. About the only thing I can think of with a two-year requirement is that unless you've been married for two years already, your first green card is conditional and lasts for two years. Let me blunt here: You really, really, really need to retain the services of an immigration lawyer in order to get any sort of accurate answer to your question. Both of these things are untrue. It is possible and common for people to navigate the immigration process without a lawyer, especially if they do the work to become thoroughly educated about the system and have an uncomplicated case.

If you're willing to get married, K1 is a good option for bringing your boy the US. Moving closer together sounds like a pretty good plan, too. Since you are young, I'm assuming you've never lived away from your family. As someone who has lived in your area for a long time, and who teaches students just like you, I really strongly suggest you see your situation as an opportunity to move beyond your comfort zone and experience another part of the country, or even the two of you make the move to a third country on some kind of work or study program.

The time to experiment and take chances is now. Your family will always be there. The Northwest is a fabulous part of the country and wholly unlike Central New Jersey. Moving there might not get you into Canada, but the commute from Washington state into BC and back is a whole lot less cumbersome than you might think. From there, you and your boyfriend might figure out a way to be closer together. It is very empowering to be on your own.

Before you make long-term immigration-related plans, I would suggest moving and living on your own to see if you change. Here's my error -- the couple must have meet within the two years prior to filling out the K-1 application. A subtle but crucial distinction. However, none of you have yet talked about the minimum income requirements required for a K-1 filer.

As the OP is unemployed she cannot support her fiance financially, as is required. I believe you can get a sponsor to vouch for you, but that's something to look into.


A foreigner can face a five year insta-ban from entering the U. This ruling cannot be appealed, and the decision is solely at the discretion of the individual who renders it. Let's not paint this thing is bright colours is what I'm saying. That means paying for tuition, working at most at some campus job which are get to get, and largely part-time , and staying in the country for the duration -- a prospect that would almost certainly cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Also, read this thread on the risks of even visiting an American SO from abroad. Okay, I'm just poking my feelers around here- I understand that if I want to seriously look into our options I should speak to a lawyer, but for now asking around Metafilter and doing some research online is sufficient for my curiosity.

Vincele, I've lived on my own since I was 17, I'm just terribly close to my family. In the back of my mind, I'm kinda-sorta considering colleges in his neck of the woods, but I don't know if I'd go through with it. I think this is a sad case of all or nothing. Either you don't get to be together for a long time or you get married. As several here have said, immigration via K-1 visa isn't all that scary so long as you and your SO have a clean record and no complicating factors previous marriages, kids, overstayed visas.

I don't think it's all or nothing. I was in the same situation 6 years ago. My SO and I found a way to move closer together though still internationally and we had a relatively "normal" LDR for 2 years after that before starting the K-1 visa process. Definitely not all or nothing.

RachaelFaith, several here have mentioned the importance of 'dual-intent'. I didn't mention it because it didn't sound like you were considering marriage. In fact, although many don't consider it permanent I assumed when you said you didn't want to do anything permanent, you meant you didn't even want to go down the marriage visa route until you'd been together longer. But in case you were thinking of sneaking the marriage in, listen to the warnings above and don't do it. One thing you will need to consider when you visit each other if you do move closer together is, especially for him, always make sure you have some 'proof' that you are going to return to your country after the trip.

This could be a return ticket, proof of employment or school enorollment, etc.